Sunday, July 1, 2012

Tour The Prison: Sentenced to Life

If you would've asked me what depression meant, at the age of nine, I wouldn't have known.  I did, however, feel depressed, I just didn't know it had a name.  Sad, scared and lonely is how I spent the next several years of my life.  I made friends and started to emerge from that cocoon of fear.  I was all about attention.  For someone that had been hurt in such a horrific way, you would think I wouldn't want a watchful eye on me, but I felt that if all eyes were on me, I was somehow more safe.

I fell into a dangerous web of self-abuse.  I would inflict wounds upon myself to try to ease the inner pain.  I cut myself on my inner thighs and under my arms.  I stabbed myself with my earrings and hit myself with anything metal that would leave a mark. Sometimes it was the weights I had to lift, or the rubberbands that I did physical therapy with. My curling iron always left marks, and then I would wrap my arm up with some story about how I had hurt myself.


Reflection: I can look back and see God's hand in my life everywhere, because there are so many instances that most people would call coincidence and they are to numerous to count. I don't believe in chances, circumstances or coincidences.  I believe in God, and that belief never left me, no matter what.

This abuse went on for a few years and then it got to the point that what I was doing wasn't enough. One night while my family was sleeping, I slipped downstairs and swallowed an entire bottle of pills.  I never intended on taking my life, but I didn't look to see what the prescription was. I just needed to hurt myself more. I wanted to hurt like I had that day so many years before so that maybe I could take it all back; maybe it would just all go away.  I'm very blessed that whatever I took was something that only caused me to vomit, and didn't cause any more harm.

At the time, my mother was a teacher and my father was still in the Coast Guard. My Mom had a meeting after school and left me instructions to put in a frozen pizza for my brother and myself.  As I pulled it out of the oven, I grabbed a large knife instead of the pizza cutter and without another thought, I plunged it into my stomach.  Now, mind you, my Mom was supposed to be at a meeting, but just as that knife broke my skin, I heard the crunching of gravel beneath tires.  I looked up to see my Mom, whose meeting had been cancelled.  I threw the knife in the sink and ran to the bathroom, cleaned it up, and it's my only reminder that I still have today of the hell I lived through.

I was trapped inside of myself; a prisoner with my own man-made walls, and I needed a reprieve.

No comments:

Post a Comment